Many of you are probably taking off today to enjoy your Memorial Day weekend somewhere else. However, since many of us have the same idea, this is going to cause crowded highways and possibly some backed up traffic.
Memorial Day Weekend is in fact one of the busiest for car travel; right up there with the Fourth of July. As you probably know, more cars on the road means more auto accidents. Because of this, law enforcement will be out in full force.
Before heading to the lake this weekend (or wherever), we encourage drivers to:
- –Top off your vehicle’s fluids, especially the coolant
- –Have your batteries checked, especially if they’re a few years old
- –Make sure your tires have adequate air
- –If you’re going for a long drive, get an oil change
Drinking and Driving – Don’t Even Try
State and local law enforcement will be cracking down this weekend with sobriety checkpoints in an attempt to minimize alcohol-related accidents. While it is never a good idea to get behind the wheel after driving, it is especially dangerous this weekend. Not to mention especially risky.
Besides avoiding drinking and driving in any way, we would also like to offer these tips to ensure safe travels this holiday weekend:
- –If the roads are wet, keep a safe distance from the vehicle in front of you
- –If you’re driving during a storm, adjust your speed and always turn on your lights
- –Avoid driving while fatigued
- –Don’t let friends or family members distract the driver
- –Stay off your phone and remember a text reply can wait
- –Always wear a seatbelt and require other passengers to do the same
D&R Autoworks wishes you a fun and safe holiday weekend!